Author Topic: A Thought  (Read 4931 times)

June 01, 2004, 06:47:57 PM
Read 4931 times

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Hmm, I remember a post by someone about the possibility of a map with all double nodes except for marine start and the hives.  I think this would make for very large battles and much more satisfaction over taking a location.  The only question is whether we want large battles or the shorter, sneakier games we have now.  What are your thoughts?
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

June 01, 2004, 07:03:55 PM
Reply #1

Path

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I don't particularly think this would be a good idea, but it really depends on the situation. With one RT in Marine Start and one in each hive, that makes four total. You never want to have more then ten RTs in a map, and that only leaves six RTs, enough to make 3 Double node rooms.

It is well known that some nodes and node rooms are harder to hold, for either alien or marine (Reactor Room- Tanith), and while this is not usually a large problem, with only three rooms, things could get very ugly, very quickly. I do know it would make comebacks very difffficult, because you could not ninja RTs up once you lost a few pitched battles for the RT rooms.

Thats only how I see it, because I can't imagine a Double Res room that isn't highly unbalanced. :D
</Path>

Commanding is like playing StarCraft, only the units curse at you when you lose.
Anything is a weapon if you swing it right.

June 01, 2004, 08:38:16 PM
Reply #2

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Double Nodes are a cheap hacky way of making a map seem more 'intense'. It's akin to putting the Quad Damage powerup in the center of a huge room.

June 02, 2004, 03:38:43 PM
Reply #3

Majin

• Skulk

• View Profile
Anyone remember ns_siege006...
Thats all I need to say.

June 02, 2004, 04:19:26 PM
Reply #4

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
the concept of more than one double res is intriuging

maybe me could test it out in the LM community map?
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 02, 2004, 04:34:18 PM
Reply #5

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ns_fenris was going to try it. HUGE map, you can still get it from nsworld I think. Or just search for it. I've never played a real game on it, but I'm guessing it would probably work with 3.0, if you want to beg DA MAN to put it on the server. It has two different double node rooms. I tend to think that high res games allow both teams to tech up uber fast, and that's no good for aliens. Top tech aliens != top tech marines. = (

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 02, 2004, 05:18:23 PM
Reply #6

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

June 20, 2004, 09:54:43 AM
Reply #7

Bijiy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Pepe is one damn sexy man p...er mapper, isn't there a fenris remake team working on it?

June 20, 2004, 11:07:56 AM
Reply #8

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah but they've been going pretty slow. It doesn't have the popular support that the bast or nancy remakes had. Fenris was sort of official at one time, as in it was officially accepted to go into the public release, but then the source was lost so it was pulled back out before even being put into a public version. There's no real guarantee that if the remake is finished that the map will become official again, and I think that's why the remake team has been going so slowly on it. Well, that and the fact that the map is about 2-3x bigger than bast or nancy.  :p

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck