Author Topic: Lm Community Made Map  (Read 80520 times)

May 30, 2004, 08:03:48 PM
Reply #20

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
not sure what i can do for ya, ask me to do somethng, an i'll tell ya if i know how

aside from mapping... i cant even get VHE configured right
i tried using that tut, and blah..
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

May 31, 2004, 03:14:38 AM
Reply #21

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Does ECB want to get involved? I know he's done some mapping. On that note, did he EVER finish his AHL map?
He's almost done with it, probably within a couple weeks.  I'm sure he would give a crack at it, but he needs to finish the one he's working on first.

May 31, 2004, 01:35:00 PM
Reply #22

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Cool, can't wait to play his map if he ever gets done with it. /offtopic

For the time being, we do need to get some sort of layout done. I found this to be a pretty interesting look at why some maps succeed in balance more than others. I know it says it's for 'competitive play' but regardless of whether we want a map that's competitively playable or not, balance is universal.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 01, 2004, 02:13:37 PM
Reply #23

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I say we make a hall of nubs style easter egg in the ready room

thats another thing I can do, is easter egg planning and organization!
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 01, 2004, 02:19:21 PM
Reply #24

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well one thing I'm pretty fond of is the 'inacessible detail.' So if we can work out a basic layout, (nothing too indepth, as I'm sure PTs would change it later anyway) then I'll be happy to start turning it into something fun. We just need some interesting concepts. Anyone got any general theme ideas we can start thinking off of?

June 01, 2004, 02:29:16 PM
Reply #25

foundit

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://www.Subciety.org
OK, what can I do, to help with a layout?  I have never mapped before.  Can I do like a mock-up in Visio or Corel?  Is there an easy to use mapping tool like Operation Flashpoint has, that I can mess with in order to flush out some ideas?  Where do YOU suggest I start? (Please do not tell me to RTFM)
"I wanna know what happened to Saddam's rocket-powered monkey-piloted bio-terror trains of DEATH that were tunneling through the very CORE of the earth, ready to surface in the Rose Garden and spewing ANTHRAX MURDER all over Jenna's pyramid of empty hooch bottles!"

June 01, 2004, 02:44:52 PM
Reply #26

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
My word....

edit: nevermind, spam removed
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 03:59:29 PM by Decimator »
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

June 01, 2004, 04:00:11 PM
Reply #27

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'd suggest looking at the existing map layouts, trying to figure out what works, what doesn't, and why. Then try and come up with a layout that would be good for those same reasons. It doesn't have to be terribly detailed, really. Just an indicator that you can walk from point A to point B, and where res towers go. Bear in mind the basic layout guidelines. It should take > 30 seconds to run from MS to a hive. (I think it's supposed to be even longer, but most maps nowadays it's about 30 seconds) and no hive should be much closer or much further from MS than any other. Resources should be distributed evenly, one in each hive, one in MS, and then a few, but not too many more, inbetween them. I'm a big fan of choke points, but not so much one of double nodes. I'd rather have a map without a double node, or if we really want one, a double node that's almost impossible to defend. Those can be fun.

But yeah, a layout should just be a layout, don't worry about details or anything pretty. Don't really worry about where ladders go, or even vents, or elevators and such. Just a 2-d layout so we have something to start with would be great. If anyone wants to make one, it'd be a great starting point. I would, but I don't have any webspace to store anything on...

June 01, 2004, 04:25:23 PM
Reply #28

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Aw christ.  Since everybody else seems too gosh-darn lazy, I'm gonna have to whip up something.  I hate you all.  :rolleyes:

Anyways, give me an hour or two and with luck I should have something passably cool.

June 01, 2004, 05:06:40 PM
Reply #29

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Actually, now that I've thought about it, another awesome idea has hit me.  Since this is a community-made map and a big collaboration, the layout will also be a collaboration.

Here's what I have so far - I'm not all that happy with it, but I've never actually made a nubbly PLAN beforehand before  :p   So the next person, now that we have this started, can edit in what they want to add.  And definitely feel free to change anything that I have so far :)

Blue spots are potential res nodes
Orange Spots are potential hives.
Gray Lines are vents
The rest should be kind of self-explanatory.

Anyways, BEHOLD.  And work like busy, busy ants and get your bit planned!

(oh yeah - and it's 800 x 800 pixels, to allow for enough room.  Sorry for the hugeness)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 05:07:35 PM by Dubb »

June 01, 2004, 05:11:21 PM
Reply #30

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
MS doesn't have a res node. WTH is that tiny room off MS supposed to be, the bathroom? And I always thought it'd work better to get the layout first and then add vents wherever they seem appropriate.

(Isn't working with other people FUN??)

June 01, 2004, 05:15:36 PM
Reply #31

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
MS doesn't have a res node. WTH is that tiny room off MS supposed to be, the bathroom? And I always thought it'd work better to get the layout first and then add vents wherever they seem appropriate.

(Isn't working with other people FUN??)
Yeah - I didn't know where to put the node or the CC :(  I figured I'd put it in that "bathroom" (which in actuality I planned to be more like the place where the node is on Ayumi)

But uhh...the vent thing is true - I'm a nubcaek :-p

....which is also most of the reason I'm passing the burden off in such a fashion. :help:

June 01, 2004, 05:43:15 PM
Reply #32

Majin

• Skulk

• View Profile
I'm going to Take Deci's Paint IMG and clean it up with PS and make the lay out more of a blue print.  If thats OK with you DECI?

June 01, 2004, 05:59:05 PM
Reply #33

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Of course it's ok.  Like I said, feel free to rip it apart.  It was originally made in a program for making 2D games so it's rather blocky.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 06:01:05 PM by Decimator »
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

June 02, 2004, 08:39:39 AM
Reply #34

foundit

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://www.Subciety.org
Here is my first attempt.  Do not rip it apart! :)  Just kidding.  Any mods, critiques, or suggestions are much appreciated.

Is Hammer a tool I should try?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 08:43:35 AM by foundit »
"I wanna know what happened to Saddam's rocket-powered monkey-piloted bio-terror trains of DEATH that were tunneling through the very CORE of the earth, ready to surface in the Rose Garden and spewing ANTHRAX MURDER all over Jenna's pyramid of empty hooch bottles!"

June 02, 2004, 11:24:13 AM
Reply #35

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Angled hallways make Batch Compiler cry.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 11:24:21 AM by Uranium - 235 »

June 02, 2004, 12:00:52 PM
Reply #36

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Well one thing I'm pretty fond of is the 'inacessible detail.' So if we can work out a basic layout, (nothing too indepth, as I'm sure PTs would change it later anyway) then I'll be happy to start turning it into something fun. We just need some interesting concepts. Anyone got any general theme ideas we can start thinking off of?
never hurts to be prepared

do you think a HON style easter egg ala LM style would be a good idea?

[edit]
N, not L
[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 04:20:29 PM by That Annoying Kid »
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 02, 2004, 03:16:43 PM
Reply #37

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
i can help with being a pathetic nub

or i can make up ideas for easter eggs and help with textures

June 02, 2004, 04:32:31 PM
Reply #38

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
First, thank you for finally get us something to start working with. This is what I'm talking about. VERY basic, no place names or anything. Just a connect the dots style layout. Woohoo.

The angled hallways, like uranub said, would be bad stuff. Generally hammer makes your life a lot easier if you feed it nice straight hallways, or hallways turned diagonally at nice easy angles. LOTS of diagonal hallways will add a lot of unneccesary work. Eww!

Also, that's more nodes than I'd like to have. Think of games on, say, ayumi or agora vs. games on metal or eclipse. The first two have lots of nodes. Both teams can have lots of nodes at the same time and tech up pretty fast without any early game skirmishes. Games on those maps often end with lots of higher evolved lifeforms throwing themselves repeatedly at a turreted up MS full of heavies and heavy weapons, or alternately they end with marines teching up fast and stomping through the hives. Metal or eclipse on the other hand, have a minimal number of nodes, and none of them are very friendly for either team. You get a lot of smaller conflicts over individual node control. And it's easier for either team to manage a map with only, say 9 nodes, over one with 15 nodes.

I do find it interesting that you've got MS sort of in one corner, but also with a path going around the far side of it. That might be worth looking in to. Allows aliens a way to sneak past MS and to a hive on the far side if they want to. I'd probably pull all the resnodes out of that area though. It'd already be strategically important for its own reasons.

Always keep in mind choke points and siege positions too. The top right and lower left hive can be sieged from areas that it looks like marines would be practically safe in, except for vent access on the lower right. (to the round room) But if marines have HA/HMG, vents won't do you any good. Onos have to be able to get into siege positions too. (probably the reason the sewer siege in ns_agora was totally changed from its old design)

I'm going to have to go beg Zazi for some hosting I think, I'm starting to feel bad offering nothing but criticism and yet not posting anything of my own! >.<

June 02, 2004, 06:03:57 PM
Reply #39

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
^^

Upload it to the forums, nublet  :huh:  :lol:

Well, I'm oh-so-tempted to get crackin', so I'm just gonna map some style tests - after which I'll post pictures and we can see if anything fits the idea in everyone's head :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 06:04:09 PM by Dubb »