Author Topic: Lm Community Made Map  (Read 84709 times)

June 14, 2004, 07:20:18 PM
Reply #120

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I know you don't like vents, but without the one I added, I feel that that leftmost RT becomes a chokepoint.. control that you take part of the pressure of marine start, then tfarm up the other side..
Without it if you take the left most RT and tfarm it, you only have half a base to defend

June 14, 2004, 07:20:35 PM
Reply #121

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
The theme is "walkway over giant pit of doom."
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

June 14, 2004, 07:23:44 PM
Reply #122

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I thought the theme was "Uranium is a hawt man-beast."?  :blink:

Actually we don't have a theme yet. We're getting layout and basic blocky hallways out of the way and then prettying it up. At one point undersea station was mentioned, but that's about the only idea that's been thrown out so far. We could probably use a few more.

Honestly, thus far the map is a 2d drawing of blue blocks, and a couple rooms that have been half thrown together. It could be ANYTHING.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 14, 2004, 07:26:49 PM
Reply #123

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
GAAAAAAH

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS HAVE A THEME IN MIND BEFORE YOU DICK WITH A LAYOUT!

Why? Because certain 'bases' need unique architechture and design.

A space station has airlocks and hangers, meaning rooms and hallways out towards the edges (Unless you want a joke like ns_bast where the control room looks at the back wall of refinery and the 'engine' is for some reason way off to the side)

A mining colony has manufacturing and processing rooms daisy-chained together.

A planetside base has living areas and maybe big research labs.

A power facility has huge turbine rooms.

Looking at the layout, it doesn't really look like it could fit ANY theme besides a planetside base, and those are boring, since you can't really justify any unique stuff in it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 07:34:55 PM by Uranium - 235 »

June 14, 2004, 07:27:03 PM
Reply #124

blasify wagiity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Lerker

• View Profile
Even a pirate ship?

EDIT: WAY TO GO URANIUM, posting before me.  Now my post makes no sense. :mellow:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 07:33:29 PM by wascally wabbit »

June 14, 2004, 07:37:26 PM
Reply #125

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh and I said this in IRC, I'll say it here just so everyone notices - I STRONGLY recommend using my ns_desolate.wad for the map

Has:

- Low res versions of ns2.wad: These are good because you can use 4x the textures, and easilly make them look better with detail textures.

- Lots of custom goodness, including other various .wads I've been allowed to merge into my superwad:

wrongwaygoback - ns_remix.wad
Venomus - ven_ns_11.wad
Fam - v_wad.wad
Yamazaki - co_poseidon.wad
Chrome Angel - CA_CThru.wad; NS_CA_Infested.wad; CA_Mini_ns2.wad; NS_CA_Infested2.wad
Erias - erias_grit_remix.wad
BrigadierWolf - Nanosludge texture.
ESUNA - For the Nanosludge sign. HERE's YOUR HUGE CREDIT (at the bottom of the list :D)

Obviously, should we use this .wad, it's for use on NO OTHER MAPS BESIDES ONES I WORK ON (agreement made with certain wadholders)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 07:41:07 PM by Uranium - 235 »

June 14, 2004, 08:02:24 PM
Reply #126

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Double post, but I'm bumping for the new elevation layout.

Should be pretty straightforward. The "E" in the middle there is an elevator in that room.

Also, dubb, I had a cool idea for the crossover area near what you're working on. Make it a long ventilation shaft going down past visibility and make both the paths come out of the walls as catwalks. Railings optional, depending on how much falling to one's doom we want.  :p

I tried to sort of show that on the map with the white circle indicating the ventilation shaft area. Sound cool?

The elevation change areas are obviously not that steep. Stairs or ramps should be applied as necessary. The area on the middle left side is a sort of a double staircase, which is why the elevation goes from highest to lowest right in that area. That's about the only way to make it fit in properly and also slow down alien movement to that elevator room, which I imagine will be a pretty important point.

Also, I finally added some rudimentary vents. That's about all I'd like in there for now, and more can be added or changed after PTing gets underway. Any more questions, comments, problems, insults, etc?

Bear in mind that this is STILL rough, feel free to change up your areas as needed, as long as they conform to this general layout scheme.
Sounds excellent - and looks very nice to boot.  Regarding the crossover pathway room; this is something that can definitely be done.  I'll get to work hewing some rough brushwork to see if I can capture what you're thinking.

@uranub: the wad sounds good, as it encompasses the lurvelly v_wad.  All the rest are just gravy.

Anyways, tomorrow I'll get myself working on the map again, when my time is freed up. <_<
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 08:02:56 PM by Dubb »

June 14, 2004, 08:24:38 PM
Reply #127

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
ns_remix and ven_11 aren't too fancy, but co_poseiden is mainly good looking textures. I don't remember what was erias_remix, but chromeangels textures are very useful as well. The BrigWolf and Esuna one were custom for ns_desolate.

PS: I'm a big fan of you wall_yellgray texture sets. They're hard to use, but look DAMN nice if you can use them correctly (that and I have detail textures already set up for em :p)

Also, I'm a big fan of Atmosphere. Slow opening creaky doors, rumbly slowly descending elevator compartments...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 08:29:45 PM by Uranium - 235 »

June 14, 2004, 11:44:19 PM
Reply #128

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The trick is to find the knife-edge balance between atmosphere and gameplay. I too love atmospheric maps, bast is and always will be my most beloved map because it looks so good. But the gameplay balance on it is right out the window. (Although the b5 version will be better, hopefully) Veil or Eclipse, the old standby maps, are easily the best for balance. And even they have little issues that should be tweaked to make them more balanced. But at far as atmosphere, they have zero. It's just long hallways and wall_lab textures over and over and over. At LEAST eclipse has triad, even though it's been raped into brightness in the latest version, for the sake of balance. It's an eternal battle.

As nice as slow elevators rumbling down into darkness sounds, what you end up with is people always leaving the elevator down, jumping, and yelling "MEDPACK" as they fall. Hardly atmospheric...  

I like the idea of using inaccessible detail to add atmosphere. Darkened rooms visible through unbreakable glass. A crack in the wall too small to admit anyone, but wide enough that you can see another area of the complex behind it. The little teeny details that make you feel like you're part of a much bigger world than the map can possibly encompass. For the best examples of this I'd point at the tram tunnel on bast, with it's end that extends off past the tram into darkness. And probably the landing pad on hera. It was originally inaccessible in the 1.04 version, only visible from the glass walkway. That's perfect. A whole area built only to be seen, to add richness to the map without being just another room that you walk through.

And by the way, if at all possible, I'd like to make cover for skulks WITHOUT having any crates. Crates are soooooooooo overdone. Collapsed pillars, broken flooring, computer terminals that don't stick out of a wall for once... anything to add cover that's not just another damned box.

This pointless rant has been brought to you by staying up too late ™.

June 15, 2004, 11:26:01 AM
Reply #129

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
As nice as slow elevators rumbling down into darkness sounds, what you end up with is people always leaving the elevator down, jumping, and yelling "MEDPACK" as they fall. Hardly atmospheric...

Why do you think I said 'Compartment'? Doom-style elevator platforms are retarded.

Anyway, I keep seeing people posting screens in IRC of what they've done. This map is going to be a piece of utter ^^ if we can't agree on what style it is. Someone wants a water pumping area, someone else wants space, it's just retarded right now. People are randomly making pieces and expect to paste them together in some terrible orgy of .rmf files.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 11:27:27 AM by Uranium - 235 »

June 15, 2004, 11:48:03 AM
Reply #130

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Thats why you put a downward trigger_push in the elevator so if they jump and dont ride down they go SPLAT ^_^ >:D

June 15, 2004, 12:23:45 PM
Reply #131

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ura: Please don't continue to piss in everyone's cheerios if you don't have anything constructive to add.

So let's get a theme together, lest this map become a worthless heap of highly concentrated death.

Thus far the only serious suggestion we've had has been undersea station. That's OK, sort of reminds me of co_poseidon, which I didn't really like for some reason. The only idea I've had that I'd like some feedback on is a partially built location (of whatever sort it is, be it ship, research lab, colony, etc.) so that you can have areas that aren't completed yet, allowing for interesting design, and have some justification for weldables that turn on lights, open doors, etc. Basically powering up parts of the map. I always though that would add some fun to things.

Any comments or other thematic ideas, anyone?

June 15, 2004, 02:54:53 PM
Reply #132

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
The theme for the (now lost and defunct) ns_dubbilex was that of an icy asteroid.  I had origibnally planned for the map to be some sort of installation on the surface of an asteroid or moon covered with snow.  I had a lot of pipes, and was going for some theme of a punmping station or something like that.  I had plans (which I never was able to actually flesh out) of having a large running theme of a big pipeline (i.e have a single, big pipe that everyone recognizes as the same pipe run throughout the map to add to continuity).

I never really thought about what exactly the pipes would hold/pump, but I really like the idea and it lends itself to some cool industrial themes.

Discuss.

June 15, 2004, 04:05:38 PM
Reply #133

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
can we have one large room that has 'grass' that is just tall enough for a skulk to run thru concealed? maybe throw in a resnode in the middle on a pedestal or something, or make it a seige spot.

that would be cool, large rooms are fun for jp/lerk/fade and the skulks will have some cover
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 15, 2004, 04:17:57 PM
Reply #134

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If I could think of a possible way to add a biodome room in, that would be quite cool. It'd eat up a LOT of sprites though, to have enough grass to cover skulks well. With the way I see the map going, though, it seems more likely to keep with an industrial theme than anything that would invite a biodome to fit in anywhere.

June 15, 2004, 06:33:03 PM
Reply #135

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
ns_desolate was (is?) a derelict space station. My main 'theme' to it was the presence of hazardous concentrated nanogel, and an interesting mix of abandoned, desolate areas (around hives and such) and very clean, pristine, 'sterile' areas.

The thing I don't like about underwater bases is it's just kinda a silly idea IMO. The Kharra come from another planet, moving between host spaceships like a virus. The TSA finds these infections and neutralizes them. Underwater is just wierd. A spaceship would be utterly incapable of making space flight, reentry, and then turning into a submarine, for a variety of physics reasons (the biggest one being that space ships are designed to hold pressure IN, and submarines are designed to hold pressure OUT). Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Bob, shut up. These are the kind of things you need to know BEFORE you start ANY work. I've done maps for other games, I've run managed and released my own mods with a team, so just listen to me. If this is going to be a halfway decent map at all we can't have 7 people all randomly working on whatever they feel like. "I want a biodome!" "I want a flooded area!" "I want space toilets!" You'd have a hive that's full of piping connected to a room in the wall_lab texture set full of crates with a flooded area of bright lighting between, and a junction made of dark, dirty textures. It'd be like taking a jigsaw puzzle and cutting the pieces so they all fit together how you want. It wouldn't make a picture, and it doesn't mean you've done it right.

The absolute first thing you need to decide is, as I said, the theme. The layout is a good springboard for the actual layout, but a huge chunk of a map's design is influenced by what the map's "purpose" serves.

As well, the absolute LAST thing we need are people coming in and putting in random pieces of map because 'it's cool'. You don't want to be designing a space station map, and someone starts taking their own liberties and you end up with worthless weldables and a billion pits of doom (which are fun, but impractical on many maps). This happened on my mod: Some coders decided to stop listening to me and start just throwing ^^ at the wall and seeing what stuck. Imagine taking a single room out of each official NS map and gluing them together. You'd probably end up with something like that. The left hand should ALWAYS know what the right hand is doing.

To avoid people from randomly making chunks of map, you need a strong theme, guidelines, and a layout first. We have an in-progress layout, no theme, and really no guidelines.

Theme is a hard thing to master. I spent a while on ns_desolate thinking of what I wanted to do. I settled on a station since stations not only fit the storyline, but allow you to take some great creative liberties. An undersea base is similar to a space station, but you lose a lot of potential atmospherics, namely in ambiance and lighting. Look at my ns_desolate screenshots, especially the marine spawn. I got a lot of compliments on that because the pink lighting fit so well, and really gave the map the impression of being in space.

So let's brainstorm a theme before we do anything else first. Note that one thing I don't like about many ns maps is that they have a theme, but they're not consistant, or simply have no theme. ns_nothing for example. Just playing through the map, it has no theme. It's just random rooms tacked together. It's a fun map to play, sure, but compare walking through nothing to walking through agora. Agora screams atmosphere, the upper areas are all themed to be a sort of 'living area', and the lower areas are all themed to fit the 'mining area'. If we settle on a toxic waste facility, then most of the rooms should make it LOOK like a toxic waste facility, not just one or two. A player should NEVER have to stop and ask 'What is the purpose of this facility?' If you make the map well, every room should scream that answer right back at the player. A power plant would have fuel rooms, containment areas, coolant outflows, and a big, noisy reactor.

Some ideas:

- A ship or freighter - Ships or freighters haul things around. Generally, they should follow a plausible layout: Engines and such towards the 'back', command and control at 'front', and the 'guts' of it (cargo holds, containment areas) all should be in the middle. They give you less flexibility in terms of layout, but they can be a lot of fun to make and design.

--- Cargo Freighter
--- Passenger Ship
--- Ore Hauler
--- Hazardous Materials Container Ship
--- Military ship
------ Destroyer
------ Carrier

- A station - Stations are more or less free-for-all. You'll have airlocks and access areas towards the edges, with cargo and power cores and whathaveyous towards the central areas. There should always be a lot of windows and such so that the little people on it can look out at the prettiness.

--- Shipyard
--- Colony
--- Off-site power facility
--- Manufacturing
--- Hydroponic Farming
--- "High Tech"
------ R&D Labs
------ Nanotech
------ Kharra Research
--- Military Installation
------ Defense Station

- Planetside base - Planetside bases can be designed a lot like space stations, but with a few other things to keep in mind: planetside bases are not usually self-sufficient, whereas a station probably will be. Also, since transporting materials to build it is usually much cheaper, you'll generally have bigger rooms and halls. A setting in space would naturally have more cramped quarters: That's the nature of things.

--- Launch facility
--- Colony
--- Military Installation
------ Missile Base
------ Launch facility
--- Power facility
--- Farms or food production
--- Mines
--- "High Tech"
------ R&D Labs
------ Nanotech
------ Kharra Research

Note that I'm not too fond of 'colony' or 'passenger' themes since they fall into the idea of maps like ns_eclipse: really no atmosphere or theme, just big halls and rooms that do nothing.

Finally, I've heard a lot of people saying 'OMG PITS OF DOOM'. If the map is like playing Super Mario Bros. it's a ^^ty map. Plus, you'd really have to justify the pits of doom. A passenger cruise or an R&D lab would have almost no pits of doom, if any at all. A mine most certainly would. A space-faring vessel of any type most likely wouldn't, or if it did, they'd be highly specialized: A pit of doom would fit nicely around a reactor core of sorts, but would be abysmally retarded just randomly placed in the middle of a room. Remember you want the players to think that this is a real facility, with a purpose. A contracting team wouldn't decide (in the case of ns_nothing) to leave a big bottomless hole in the middle of the generator room, when they could easilly cover it. Conversely, the EM Drill Shaft in Bast is a very good pit of doom: I can honestly believe there'd be something like that there.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 06:40:47 PM by Uranium - 235 »

June 15, 2004, 07:03:30 PM
Reply #136

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Thank you! That was minor harassment with a good helping of constructive ideas. And your approach makes sense, it's simply that mine is different. I'm getting the gameplay layout out of the way, the next part of the plan was to work on thematics and basic architecture, if you missed that part. By basic architecture, I mean rooms and halls with no details. A way to be able to playtest the layout. Trust me, I don't need to know that a hallway is 'central access corridor #3' or a room is 'hydroponics systems controls' or a vent is 'maintenance access crawlway 37' to be able to slap a box down and run around in it. Aside from dubb's nice work on that one RT, the plan was to get the boring boxmap done and PT the layout. Since this should realistically take almost no time at all to do, even if it were just ONE person working on it, I wasn't too worried about theme, as that can in fact be added on when the rooms are detailed. They're just boxes and halls, they can be moved, cropped, grown, or shrunk as needed.

I thought it would be more important to know if the map plays well than to do a whole lot of work MAKING a room look like 'research labs cryo storage' and then finding out that it needed to be smaller to play correctly. Hours of brushwork, entitywork, lighting, model placement, all gone because everything has to be moved around and some things deleted to make it work right. However, if that room is just 'big box with one light entity' it's suddenly not so difficult at all.

So, let's do what we can thematically to make everyone as happy as possible. What ideas do people like? I'd like a little input from the rest of the mappers involved. I've already mentioned the idea of a partially contructed location, but the remaining theme of that location is still up in the air. Does that sound good at all? Do any of the things that Uranium has so kindly suggested perk anyone up?

By the by, Uranium, do you want to take part in the actual mapping, or would you like to continue in your role of 'wise old mapping sage who likes to beat people with a sledgehammer occasionally' ?

June 15, 2004, 07:44:50 PM
Reply #137

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'd like to be part of the mapping, if everything is ideal, but this is on a rough start so depending on how we go about handling 'ideas' (Look at the part about "I want a biodome!" "I want space toilets!") will ultimately decide. Simply put, one must really learn how to say 'no'. When I was making the mod, that was a critical fault of mine: My coders would make some ultra-BS-crap and I didn't have the balls to say 'Stop wasting time on this rubbish'.

Some of my favorites:

Hazardous Materials Container Ship
Military ship

A Shipyard
Hydroponic Farming
Off-site Power Plant

Missile Base

I'd say Off-site Power Plant wins my ultimate vote for having the most potential, with a Hydroponic Farm in close second, and tied with a Shipyard. All three of these offer great opportunity to introduce new hazards and such, and the Shipyard would be ultimate win for the 'Non-accesible detail'.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 07:46:48 PM by Uranium - 235 »

June 16, 2004, 05:12:45 AM
Reply #138

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
... and the Shipyard would be ultimate win for the 'Non-accesible detail'.
Not to mention crazy r_speeds  :p

If we're just going on Uranub's suggestions alone, I believe I like the idea of an "off-site power plant," because that would make sense with the theme of the place I've done so far.

And by the way, uranium: the pit of doom isn't actually a pit of doom.  There's simply a walkway (a catwalk, really) going out to a platform in the middle of a shaft of sorts (it actually looks like the inside of a reactor or something).  I didn't just throw the "pit of dewm" in for kicks - it simply made for a cool, unique room.

Anyways, my vote is for power station or for my aforementioned pumping station.  Or maybe both  >:D

June 16, 2004, 06:06:16 AM
Reply #139

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Possibly a planetside shipyard or vehicle prodution facility?

edit: actually, a pumping station would go well with a power plant also...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 07:36:32 AM by Decimator »
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.