Author Topic: Lm Community Made Map  (Read 84632 times)

June 10, 2004, 11:31:37 AM
Reply #100

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
there should be nodes in each hive and 1 in ms (duh) there should be 1-2 nodes MAX that favor the marines in location and easy assesbly, the rest of the nodes should favor the aliens but they should be placed in locations not to close to the hive. no double res please.

June 10, 2004, 12:20:52 PM
Reply #101

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
@lead: That's pretty much what I'm going for. Look at the line layour (while recalling that it is not an actual layout of the way the hallways will go, just a connectivity diagram) and you'll see that's what I'm trying for. There's no double res.

@dubb: Yeah, I'm happy to argue map design with people who will actually be hammering out this map. In general, I don't want to bow to the whims of people who are not actively contributing to the map. Community made is one thing, and I'm happy to have community input and suggestions and use anyone's skills to the fullest. But to keep this from being a massive MESS, we do need some nazi-like leadership.  :D

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 10, 2004, 02:12:46 PM
Reply #102

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile

@dubb: Yeah, I'm happy to argue map design with people who will actually be hammering out this map. In general, I don't want to bow to the whims of people who are not actively contributing to the map. Community made is one thing, and I'm happy to have community input and suggestions and use anyone's skills to the fullest. But to keep this from being a massive MESS, we do need some nazi-like leadership.  :D
Fine, fine, fine.  my vote is for 9 nodes.  

And tonight, I promise I'll get something else done - I didn't get a chance to even touch it yesterday.  But we'll see if I have something to show :)

June 10, 2004, 02:23:07 PM
Reply #103

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
No problem, I've been slow starting too. I think I'll start up in the big choke point room with the multiple levels, as I think I'd have a hell of a time explaining to anyone how I see it working, I might as well just do it myself. From there I'll try and work into the nearby hive and out in the other directions. From yours you can either work down that hall towards MS, or the other way towards the hive. Or jump on another point completely, if you want.

Anyone else that volunteered for mapping work, the call to arms is now. Remember, it doesn't have to be pretty. As long as the walls are textured and it doesn't leak, we can pass it around and pretty it up later. I want a functional map first so it can be PTed for balance, then we'll worry about adding neat bells and whistles and particle effects and nice lighting and all the fun stuff. So where are my brothers in mapping?  :help:

June 10, 2004, 03:37:10 PM
Reply #104

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
No problem, I've been slow starting too. I think I'll start up in the big choke point room with the multiple levels, as I think I'd have a hell of a time explaining to anyone how I see it working, I might as well just do it myself. From there I'll try and work into the nearby hive and out in the other directions. From yours you can either work down that hall towards MS, or the other way towards the hive. Or jump on another point completely, if you want.

Anyone else that volunteered for mapping work, the call to arms is now. Remember, it doesn't have to be pretty. As long as the walls are textured and it doesn't leak, we can pass it around and pretty it up later. I want a functional map first so it can be PTed for balance, then we'll worry about adding neat bells and whistles and particle effects and nice lighting and all the fun stuff. So where are my brothers in mapping?  :help:
*raises fist*

Well, I think I'll work on the right side of the map (from my little area that I've thus far started down to the hive on the right side).  The only problem with this is that I've never done infestation before, and will probably need someone else to pick that up  

And one last question:  What the crap is the gamma compile command?  I can't seem to get the bloody thing to work. :help:

June 10, 2004, 03:47:33 PM
Reply #105

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I call the west hive! :p
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

June 10, 2004, 04:04:00 PM
Reply #106

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
And one last question:  What the crap is the gamma compile command?  I can't seem to get the bloody thing to work. :help:
Uhm, which are you talking about? The entity that sets the gamma ramp for the map, or a switch at compile time? And if you're not compiling with batch compiler and using xp-cagey's p15 compile tools, I will have to devour your brain with a side salad.

Edit: Cool Decimator, that works. Just use the layout as a guideline and add any twists in the corridors that seem appropriate. Leave some long straight paths so marines aren't always owned, but put in nice ambush corners too. Wee!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:05:49 PM by BobTheJanitor »

June 10, 2004, 04:08:58 PM
Reply #107

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
And one last question:  What the crap is the gamma compile command?  I can't seem to get the bloody thing to work. :help:
Uhm, which are you talking about? The entity that sets the gamma ramp for the map, or a switch at compile time? And if you're not compiling with batch compiler and using xp-cagey's p15 compile tools, I will have to devour your brain with a side salad.

Edit: Cool Decimator, that works. Just use the layout as a guideline and add any twists in the corridors that seem appropriate. Leave some long straight paths so marines aren't always owned, but put in nice ambush corners too. Wee!
nein - I never had the patience to set the silly batch compiler up  B)

But that's a good point - I probably need an env_gamma for the gamma to be able to ramp.  I'll add one (a temporary one, because it will probably be replaced by another in another portion of the map).  we also need a unified lights.rad file - I onyl have about 6 textures on mine, all used in the map so far.

And without further ado, I unveil a new screenshot of this maintenace corridor deal replete with purdy lighting  <3

EDIT and yeah yeah yeah - I'll work on architecture rather than obsessing over one area from now on :rolleyes:  

*grumble*
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:10:27 PM by Dubb »

June 10, 2004, 04:18:30 PM
Reply #108

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Purrrrdy.

And yeah, basic architecture building is what they make people do all day long IN HELL. I pretty well despise it too.

*build, build, build* *texture texture* "Okay, time to start adding fun stuff!"

Satan: "NO YOU WILL NOW GO ON TO BUILD MORE DULL HALLWAYS BWAHAHAHAHHA"

"But, Satan, what about lighting, and steam vents, and some nice vertex manipulation?"

Satan: "FOOLISH MORTAL! YOU WILL ADD TWO BASIC LIGHT ENTITIES SO YOU CAN SEE THE HALL WHEN YOU COMPILE, AND NOTHING MORE!!! AND I WILL POKE YOU WITH THIS STICK WHILE YOU DO IT! I'M SO EVIL!"

Ahh but then once we get it all into place, then it ALL becomes fun decoration and tweaks. Yay!

Edit: Set up your computer based on yon thread: http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/in...showtopic=50171

It's a little bit of work, but not nearly as much as you'd think. Your map will thank you for using batch compiler, trust me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:20:27 PM by BobTheJanitor »

June 10, 2004, 04:30:19 PM
Reply #109

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile

Edit: Set up your computer based on yon thread: http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/in...showtopic=50171

It's a little bit of work, but not nearly as much as you'd think. Your map will thank you for using batch compiler, trust me.
I've actually followed that tutorial twice now to no avail  :p   The first time, I just plain had no iudea what i was doing (when i was just getting into mapping about a year ago).  The last time I tried was a few weeks back, when this was first suggested.  The problem then was that the "Zoners Custom Build Backup HLFix OptPlns" download link was b0rked.

But I digress - what are the actual benefits to using the batch compiler other than the extra speed?

June 10, 2004, 06:10:09 PM
Reply #110

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I've got the .bcs file if the dl is still borked. And mainly just that, the nice speed of having it do everything for you with sexy checkboxes instead of having to do commands -with -lots -of -switches /Z.

June 10, 2004, 06:36:36 PM
Reply #111

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
What overbrightening value are you using Dubb?  We need to make sure we're using the same value or everything will get messed up.

June 10, 2004, 06:39:21 PM
Reply #112

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
What overbrightening value are you using Dubb?  We need to make sure we're using the same value or everything will get messed up.
In those pictures, absolutely none.  Since then I've added an env_gamma with a ramp or 2

June 10, 2004, 11:50:34 PM
Reply #113

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Two can be a bit bright. I like something in the range of 1.5 - 1.7ish. But don't worry about it too much right now, like I said, we just want to get the dull geometry out of the way and then worry about pretty lights.  :D

Edit: Okay, I'm still moving slow and I didn't get any work done last night. Tonight I'll at least try and get a basic filled layout of sorts that shows elevation differences. Since we're each working on different bits at a time, we'll need to know where they line up so we don't start buiding all sorts of variations into our areas and then get left with a massive headache when we try to stick them together. I'm still not planning on making anything too exact, I want us all to have freedom to improvise to make things interesting. But, once we get this layout in place, we should probably slice it up and define who is working on what. Oh, and I do have a basic vent scheme now . ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 11:53:50 AM by BobTheJanitor »

June 11, 2004, 08:45:26 PM
Reply #114

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
hey guys. i plan i reading whats happenied but ive been working a little. ok, 65 hours this week but i plan on reading the thread in the morning and having some idea whats going on. have no ear i havent forgoten you and i have sunday off so it should be my big chance at fun for the week so ill try to gt back in tehn
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

June 12, 2004, 07:06:26 AM
Reply #115

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
... have no ear i havent forgoten you and i have sunday off so it should be my big chance at fun for the week so ill try to gt back in tehn
Oh my GOD you should get that checked out!  :o  :o  :o   :lol:

But anyways, again yesterday I was too busy to even open up hammer.  However I have nothing to do this afternoon, so Ill do my best to bravely forge forth as well.

June 12, 2004, 07:32:44 AM
Reply #116

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I've built the basic hive room, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the hallways around it.  Do we want a fairly narrow path to the node, or a room or two in between?

June 12, 2004, 03:24:50 PM
Reply #117

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, I'm trying to leave some of the design decisions open so you can have some freedom with it. So build it however you want, with a few things in mind: 1. It's a hive, so short halls around it, don't make it too marine friendly. 2. Don't put the res node too close, but don't put it too far away either.  :p  3. We might need to coordinate, as the area I'm building (or will be... any time now... eheheh) will be stretching over to meet your area. 4. Elevation! And I still don't have the layout up that shows elevation changes... I'll get right on that...

June 14, 2004, 07:12:08 PM
Reply #118

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Double post, but I'm bumping for the new elevation layout.

Should be pretty straightforward. The "E" in the middle there is an elevator in that room.

Also, dubb, I had a cool idea for the crossover area near what you're working on. Make it a long ventilation shaft going down past visibility and make both the paths come out of the walls as catwalks. Railings optional, depending on how much falling to one's doom we want.  :p

I tried to sort of show that on the map with the white circle indicating the ventilation shaft area. Sound cool?

The elevation change areas are obviously not that steep. Stairs or ramps should be applied as necessary. The area on the middle left side is a sort of a double staircase, which is why the elevation goes from highest to lowest right in that area. That's about the only way to make it fit in properly and also slow down alien movement to that elevator room, which I imagine will be a pretty important point.

Also, I finally added some rudimentary vents. That's about all I'd like in there for now, and more can be added or changed after PTing gets underway. Any more questions, comments, problems, insults, etc?

Bear in mind that this is STILL rough, feel free to change up your areas as needed, as long as they conform to this general layout scheme.

June 14, 2004, 07:14:54 PM
Reply #119

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm still debating on joining this, but there's some big important things I have to ask before I do consider: Mainly, what is the theme of the map?